Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Small Things

I didn't realize how much we take advantage of small things until this experience came along. There are so many things that I've stressed over, got upset about, or ignored altogether at times. I complain about our grass being too tall, dishes to wash, laundry to do, and beds that aren't made but when you think about it
- our kids have a place to call home with their own grass to run and play
- we have food to eat that causes the dirty dishes
- we have clothes to wear.... and wash
- and beds to lay down in at the end of the day

A friend of mine is praying (and I'm praying with her) for a baby that will sleep all night, I'm praying for a baby to be home to wake me in the middle of the night.

Someone is wanting to lose those last few pounds for summer, I just want my girl to gain the weight she needs to in order to be home for summer.

A mom is trying to console a screaming baby, I just want to hear her scream at the top of her lungs.

A friend complains their baby wants to be held all the time, I just want to hold mine and never have to let go.

It's simple things (and perspective), like hearing the first cries after your baby is born or the nurse putting her in your arms, that I've missed and didn't even realize it. All of these emotions flooded me on Sunday when a new baby came into our nursery. This baby was crying so loud and it just echoed through the room and my heart. I tried to hold it together but it was too overwhelming. I know one day she will be crying or screaming or even talking and I will just want quiet, but for now bring on the screams and cries. I will welcome it.

I pray that this experience leaves me forever changed. I want to enjoy every moment of every day. We read this the weekend before K was born -

"Don't count every hour in the day, make every hour in the day count."

It has a whole new meaning now

No comments:

Post a Comment